The Essential Components of New Apple iPhone Will Be Changed Soon

2018 iPhones to rely solely on Intel baseband chips, KGI claims

2018 iPhones to rely solely on Intel baseband chips, KGI claims

According to KGI Securities analyst Ming-chi Kuo, a second-generation iPhone SE on Apple's 2018 pipeline is hard to believe if the reports are true that the company plans to unveil three new flagship phones in the last quarter of the year.

Nomurai analyst, Romit Shah stated that Apple can save over $100 million in the next iPhone production cycle by switching to Intel's cheaper modem chips.

Kuo had earlier projected Intel supplying 70 per cent of the modems, with Qualcomm providing the remaining 30 per cent of orders, but he now believes Intel will be the sole supplier, as it enjoys several competitive advantages.

The rumors are based on a research note obtained by MacRumors and 9to5Mac. This is likely to leave Qualcomm with absolutely no contribution in iPhones.

But that's unlikely to be why Apple has supposedly come to this decision; rather its ongoing lawsuits with Qualcomm are probably a big factor. Qualcomm chipset offers high performance when compared to Intel. As mentioned, the iPhone SE managed to attract a loyal following, and credit goes to its more-than-decent specs and functionalities.

Now that Intel models support both GSM and CMA, it's now possible for Apple to use a single modem that will work across the major networks AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint.

The iPhone Xs is expected to sport a 5.8-inch OLED screen and the iPhone Xs Plus a 6.5-inch OLED display.

Apple is famous for not trying to rely too much on individual suppliers as it gives too much leverage, and the company constantly tries to push for a more diversified supply chain, where it can. Intel is said to use its XMM 7560 modem in the new iPhones that include faster LTE speeds with 4x4 MIMO technology. Qualcomm is expected to aggressively pursue orders from Chinese smartphone makers to offset the lost orders. In the latest instance in January, the European Commission slapped the company with a $1.23 billion fine and said its practices prevented competitors, such as Intel, from supplying 4G LTE radios to Apple for five years.

"Apple experienced a slight downturn from the previous holiday quarter as iPhone volumes reached 77.3 million units, a year-over-year decline of 1.3%".

Qualcomm and Apple have been working together for quite some time now. This could also happen as Intel might not be ready for the 5G wave on time.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.